Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Liver function re-test. Should I be worried?

I recently went for blood tests to check for anaemia, low glucose, thyroid problems and glandular fever. Fortunately I have none of these, the test picked up a current viral infection (which I am now recovering from). However, the nurse said I have to have a liver function re-test in 3 months time. I don't remember having a liver function test the first time round! My mum said this is what they do to test for glandular fever and that they need to make sure the virus has gone completely and not just lying dormant until my immune system is low again. Could she be right?
Answer:
They will have done the liver test from the same blood sample as when testing for anaemia, etc. If it was slightly raised then, it's normal practice to do another test later just to make sure that it's back to normal. I wouldn't worry :-)
First, I would ask to see the results from the first liver function tests. They can be elevated for many reasons, including a virus. They are probably just ensuring that once the virus is gone, your liver function returns to normal. But don't be afraid to ask your doctor for more information! You're entitled to know it since it IS your body we're talking about, right??
they want to rule out hepatitis-which is common in those who have mono. your liver can also be indicative of hepatitis c to which your "glandular fever" is misdiagnosed too.good luck!
Its perfectly normal to retest in three months time. If the liver enzymes are still high at that point then they will probably order some more tests and ask you detailed questions about anything in your life that might be causing (like a tea you drink, supplements you take, etc). Liver function is a standard test. If there is some sort of problem, like with your liver, than you want them to pick up on it earlier rather than later. Its just a simple blood test.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net