Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Low urine osmolarity indicates a reduced glomerular filtration rate (GFR)? I am confused!?

Above statement is from my textbook. But my understanding is different. GFR is the volume of fluid filtered by the glomerulus per unit time. I believed that if your blood pressure was high your GFR was high indicating more filtrate, moving more quickly through renal tubules, therefore less time to reabsorb water, therefore more water in filtrate, therefore a low urine osmolarity. My books provide me with an unclear understanding because I am obviously wrong in my thinking. Can someone please clarify?
Answer:
I'm no expert, but in a healthy person, the GFR is really very constant due to regulation mechanisms etc. A reduction in GFR accompanies disease, e.g. glomerular admage, obstruction, decreased renal blood flow and so with this comes a decreased ability to get rid of waste material and regulate volume. So in fact when you get a decreased GFR you get a rise in plasma urea %26/or creatinine.
Like with diseases such as chronic renal failure, or diabetes insipidus, the impairment of concentrating ability requires higher volume of urine output for the same daily solute output.Im sorry if i've confused you more! But hope it helps a little.
Go to this site and read.Spartan
http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kls/...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net