Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Looking for good foods for Type 2 Diabetics, Any Suggestions?

I'm a type 2 Diabetic and I am interested in hearing from anyone that has any suggestions for good foods (meals, snacks, anything you can think of) that are good for us and good period. I know the usuals (Carrot Sticks and the Like). Just looking for some good suggestions.
Answer:
I follow the glycemic index when I am not sure what to eat. It helps me to know what foods will affect my blood sugar the most. You can find it here:http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food...I also avoid high carb foods, and eat a lot of fish and meat. I drink a lot of water and hot tea and love to indulge in some Diet Coke a couple of times a week. I only eat whole grain breads and pasta, and I still limit how much I consume. I eat a lot of fruit but I look on the GI chart to decide which ones are best. Vegetables are very important in my diet and I usually stick to the green ones (carrots and most white veggies are high in carbs) For snacks will have popcorn (on occasion), cheese or sugar free yogurt. I currently live in Morocco and there are not many sugar free items here, so I don't use them often. Most food is prepared fresh here daily and that is a HUGE help in controlling my diabetes. Foods that are processed tend to be loaded in carbs, sugar and salt, none of which I need. I hope I have helped at least a little... Best wishes.
A high-protein diet appears to lower blood glucose and improve overall glucose control in patients with type 2 diabetes. Researchers observed the results after participants with type 2 diabetes followed a high-protein diet (30 percent of the diet came from protein) for five weeks. Blood sugar levels were lowered by 40 percent among the high-protein group.For the most part though it is a no-brainer that nearly all type 2 diabetics need to swap out their grains for other foods. However, some people will benefit from using protein for the substitution, while others will benefit from using more vegetable-only carbohydrates. Also, exercise is key!
Oatmeal is a great breakfast. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp cinnamon on it, and you won't miss the sweetener. Look over your foods list, your doc should have given you one. Especially at the fats: you can have more sour cream in one serving than you can butter, so sub sour cream for butter on baked potatoes. Rye bread is better than white for sandwiches. My favorite snack is carrots %26 celery dipped into salsa. Eat small meals, 5 or 6 times a day to help keep blood sugar levels even during the day. Low fat bean soups are great too.
You could also try order some cookbooks or magazines that are made just for diabetics. here are some websites that have diabetic recipesdiabetesplanner.com
diabeticgourmet.com
I have found one good way to cut down on carbs. I have found a brand of multi-grain tortillas that have 6 net grams of carbs per tortilla. I can't remember the brand name but the only place I have found them is at Sam's Club. Instead of making a sandwich I make a tortilla wrap. I can have two of them and it is considered to be one serving of carbs. If I made two sandwiches with bread it would be 4 servings of carbs.
Replacing white flour to whole grain is easy to do, and do a lot of wonder. Whole grain releases sugar slower over time, so will not dramatically increase blood sugar like white bread / pasta or white sugar. Try to step away from fried meat as well, since the frying bater is made of white flour. I think type 2 diabetic is lucky disease (sorry if I make you upset by this statement) since from now on you need to take care of yourself sincerely, you might get healthier than before!
Enjoy your healthy eating habit!! (Don't get stressed over food, that's very, very important)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net