Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Low blood Pressure?

I'm 24 and have mitral valve prolapse. I take a beta blocker before I exercise since my heart rate gets really high. I jog at least 4 times a week for 60 minutes. Today, at my doctor, my blood pressure was 96/65. What is the normal range for someone healthy and active at my age? Is there something I can do besides uping my sodium to have a more normal blood pressure? I have been really tired lately, I think due to this. Any help would be fabulous :)
Answer:
Optimal is 120/80.One question I have is, what is your diet like? From what I read on MVP is that it can be signs of a weaker heart. Symptoms may include heart futter and heart palpitations, this could be signs of a magnesium deficiency.Magnesium and other vitamins and minerals are necessary for a healthy heart. If you lack these vitamins and minerls from your diet, your heart can tell you in these ways.There are also food substances that you should avoid because they may damage the heart or impede heart rate. These can include substances like MSG (Monosodium Glutamate).MSG may cause heart palpitations and headaches.Caffeine can cause fluctuations in heart rate, especially if you have it on an empty stomach.Aspartame (Nutrasweet) can also cause irregular heart beats.I would definitely suggest taking a magnesium supplement, as it regulates your heart rhythm. I used to have heart palpitations occasionally, but haven't lately after I started taking magnesium in a supplement.Potassium is another often overlooked mineral that people can easily not get enough of. You need about twice as much potassium as sodium, or about 4000 mgs, give or take for your own body weight. Patassium is found in fruits, fruit juices (like orange and grape juice), and baked potatoes.Again, I too sometimes had a high heart when exercising, and had an irregular heart beat on occasion. The bottom line I suggest is to increase your magnesium intake and avoid caffeine and artificial sweeteners.
Do you take a beta blocker only before exercising? Or do you take it everyday?Beta blockers also reduce blood pressure, in addition to slowing down the heart.Since you are athletic and jog a lot, it is common for athletic people to have low blood pressures and low pulses.However, you also have mitral valve prolapse. Usually, it tends to not be symptomatic in young people. I don't think the low blood pressure is due to your prolapse, but you might want to go to the doctor just to check.If you are a thin and atheltic person, you will have a low blood pressure.
Drink more water. It increases your blood volume and raises your blood pressure.
If you are not having any symptoms of low pressure
being Dizzy or light headed when standing up and if your Dr is not concerned it is OKWhat your pressure is just on the low side of acceptable of normal
100/60 is considered normal on the low side but normalIf it continues to drop then they might do something but please do not increase your salt intake it is so bad for you to take more than you need.Salt is good for preventing dehydration so you need some when you are running but do not over do it

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net