Sunday, October 25, 2009

Knee problems...need some advice?

i just wanted advice from others who have had knee problems. ive been to the dr and had xrays done and there is a problem with my kneecap slipping out and it feels at time that my leg is giving way on me. im on pain medication and i just keep going back to the dr who just says, try a brace, try an ointment in case its ligiment damage, try exercise ( strange when i can hardly walk).when im laying down, i can raise my right leg high up but my left leg with the knee problems i cant raise 2 inches without pain. what i want to know is, why cant i raise my leg and why am i in so much pain?this is driving me insane as i feel like a drug addict asking for pain killers all the time. i normally only get 20 and taking 2 four times a day means they dont even last three days.can anyone offer me advice either on pain relief or what might be the problem. much appreciated...
Answer:
Sounds like the problem is a subluxing patella (unstable knee cap). You cannot lift your leg because it requires a strong contraction of your quad muscle and your quad shuts down whenever there is a knee problem. What you need is physical therapy supervised by a physical therapist. Its the only thing that can solve the problem without surgery. You can use a brace to stabilize your knee cap in the short term but even when healed the knee cap will be unstable and the problem will still exist. Physical therapy will help you strengthen the appropriate muscles. If your doctor will not send you to physical therapy find a new doctor.
Did you go to an orthopedic doctor...might be a good idea...
Sounds like me. I actually was holding my new born child when my knee gave out from a slight step down outdoors and my knee went out for no apparent reason. Pain? Couldn't bend it, couldn't straighten it, nothing. Stuck in one position.
I did go to Dr.'s and basically they had told me that my ligaments were torn many years ago, and that they healed improperly. For years I have problems of the knee cap slipping out. I found that if I sit on a chair or countertop which my legs can hang freely, put my good leg behind the bad leg and taking the good leg pushing against the bad, using the bad leg to counterforce the push, strengthens the tissues and muscles for the knee. I am using Glucosamine HCI 1500mg once a day, it does WONDERS. My dad uses it too, but with pain reliever with it. Try it! Takes about 4 weeks to see and feel a differance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net