Saturday, October 31, 2009

Limited mobility?

I had breast cancer and had 11 lymph nodes removed under my arm. Plus nerves, muscle and whatever. I have always been able to reach my back all of it. I can't now. Any tips on how to do without help. I can't use one of the brushes on a stick. I need to wash my back.
Answer:
I'm also a breast cancer survivor along with being a Pilates instructor. I recently had a simple mastectomy and had 5 lymph nodes removed. I am going through reconstruction and am having the same limitations in mobility. Due to the surgery, you will be stiff and sore from the procedure. If you are having problems with mobility, I suggest you talk with your surgeon - she/he should have given you some gentle stretching exercises that can be done to help you regain your range of motion. If you're really having problems, ask your surgeon to send you to a physical therapist. The worst thing you can do is NOT move as the muscles will atrophy and it will become even harder for you to move and regain your full range of motion. As far as washing your back, go to a store like Whole Foods - they have washing cloths that you can use that are long enough for you to take your good arm and put it behind your back, use your affected arm as an anchor on the lower part of your back and give yourself a good scrub.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net