Sunday, October 25, 2009

Know anyone with emphasema?

my family member just got diagnosed...
Answer:
Emphysema is a condition in which the walls between the alveoli or air sacs within the lung lose their ability to stretch and recoil. The air sacs become weakened and break. Elasticity of the lung tissue is lost, causing air to be trapped in the air sacs and impairing the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. Also, the support of the airways is lost, allowing for airflow obstruction.Symptoms of emphysema include shortness of breath, cough and a limited exercise tolerance. http://www.lungusa.org/site/apps/s/conte...
I've had patients with emphysema. There's a ton of information on the web, just make sure you spell it correctly.
Unfortunately I do. My elder sister has it, as does her son.
yup me 33% lung function
02 PRN
Yes, my husband had emphysema. Hope your family member quits smoking (if they do smoke). Tell the person to stay away from any kind of smoke...cigarette, fireplaces, etc.
and chemical smells as they can trigger a difficult breathing episode. Emphysema is affected, in a negative way, when there is a change in the weather. Drink lots of water, eat right and sleep enough. Those things help all of us but emphysema patients can't recoup from some illnesses as quickly as healthy people do. I wish your family member well.
I treat people with emphysema, you can live a long time, all according to how well you take care of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net