Saturday, October 31, 2009

Levothroid pills during pregnacy.. Child Development issues?

I was diagnosed with Hyperthroidism - 9 yrs ago (age 20) after the birth of my 1st child, I had the radiation treatment and my condition turned into hypothroidism. Currently I am on 175mcg daily of Levothroid. My levels were watched closely and adjusted accordingly when I became pregnant with my second child. He is now 6 yrs old, he is border line ADHD and having issues learning and focusing in school (along with behavior problems). Also has migraines, night terrors, and sleep walking. I wanted to know if anyone else had the same issues as I do with child development. It has to relate to the Levothroid pills or maybe the radiation treatment.? My 1st child is excelling in school and has highest honors. I don't want anyone to tell me they are different children, I feel my medicine has something to do with the development of my 2nd child. Please let me know your thoughts, is anyone else in the same boat as I am??
Answer:
I don't think it was your thyroid pills. I was on pretty hefty doses with all three of my kids. With the last one, I was up to 300 mcg a day. (My kids are all great students with normal behavior and sleep patterns.) The greater danger (when you're talking about hypothyroidism) is to leave it untreated and risk the baby developing a problem due to your out of whack thyroid. Thyroid replacement pills are in a safe for pregnancy class. Was the second baby born early? Sometimes premies will have developmental problems.was there any fetal distress during your labor or delivery? Another cause may be a food allergy or sensitivity. We have friends who had a child with similar problems. He is doing better now that they have found he has an allergy to gluten.Good luck to you and your little guy.

1 comment:

  1. I have been using all-natural thyroid supplements for 4 months now and I am happy with my condition. I have more energy, I finally get enough sleeping hours and finally manages to get out of bed rested to prepare the next day.

    ReplyDelete

 
vc .net